incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Adding SVN Layout Ideas to Re: Apache CMS Workflow and a Key Question
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 02:21:21 GMT

On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Kay's questions on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-to-ASF-site-recommendation
have helped me focus on how to enable website contributions.

> I really like the Apache CMS. Here is possible a workflow that would allow non-committers
to be able to contribute patches to both AOOo content and the site build we implement over
the Apache CMS.

> Workflow would be something like this:
>
> (1) Setup prerequisite software - Python-Markdown, DITA ...
>
> (2) svn checkout of the AOOo documentation / website repository including scripts.
>
> (3) Contributor edits documentation files - mdtext, html, javascript, css, dita(?), ....
>
> (4) Contributor performs test staging builds on their local machine in order to test
the results in complete isolation.
> This is a critical requirement. We should want to allow non-committers to easily test
ideas without needing a committer to hold their hand with every little design tweak they would
like to try.

> (5) When the contributor has updated content ready then they can proceed by according
> 	(a) Non-committer - submit an svn diff as a patch.
> 	(b) Committer - perform an svn commit which triggers an actual staging build.
>
> Here is the question. What is the script that performs the staging? In the Apache CMS
it is triggered by a commit, but for local use, the contributor has to run a version of that
script. I know that it will somehow invoke one of these:

> ./site/trunk/lib/path.pm
> ./site/trunk/lib/view.pm

I found the docs: http://wiki.apache.org/river/WorkingWithApacheCmsFromTheCommandLine

This helps with both (1) and (4)

> Looking for the answer and also comments on this workflow.

Next step is to layout the svn website directory structure. In the incubator we only have
a single site. Our prototype openoffice.org will need to be contained within a directory all
publishing through the Apache CMS

Here is a proposed layout:

(1) A full export of all webcontent repositories from Kenai. Done via svn export.

/site/trunk/content/kenai/${OOo-project}

The script in ./trunk/tools/dev/fetch-all-web.sh can be adapted to fill this directory with
an svn export. SInce this will be a large import into Apache we will need to co-ordinate with
Infrastructure.

We can then write scripts to clean up kenai content into something like the following structure.

(2) The various parts of the future openoffice.org sites.

/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/ooo/www/
/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/ooo/why/

(3) l10n and the various native language versions of openoffice.org

/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/l10n/
/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/${lang}/www/
/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/${lang}/why/

(4) All other projects with remapping if desired to be part of the openoffice.apache.org.

/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/${group}/${project}

groups and project layout can be determined as we write the scripts to move webcontent from
the kenai export.

Note that our incubator website will have everything in /site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/.

When we graduate, or begin to publish openoffice.org we can re-arrange the directories.

Regards,
Dave