incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 17:20:29 GMT

On Jul 2, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:

> Am 03.07.11 01:30, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Raphael Bircher<r.bircher@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>>
>>> Am 02.07.11 23:41, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>>
>>>  OUCH! see below...

>>> The problem is, that we have many dead pages on the SVN. At Collabnet we
>>> haven't the right to delete pages from the CVS. So many many unused site is
>>> still on the SVN but you won't find it over the OOo webpage.
>>>
>>>  It might be useful to take the domains list....

>>> I have already done a sitemap for all projects. It's only 4 month old. I do
>>> this sitemap for the kenai migration. I will upload the list. It's a line
>>> separated textfile.
>>>
>>>  The following page needs more fleshing out:

The
>>> OOo Page is not so easy as it looks. Ther are many special features on the
>>> kenai framework, and a load of JavaScript. I agree with Kai that we have to
>>> be verry carefull.
>>>
>>> Greatings Raphael
>>>
>>> --
>>> My private Homepage: http://www.raphaelbircher.ch/
>>
>> OK, a totally different thought/approach.
>>
>> I think it might be easier in the long run to migrate the entire current OOo
>> site in total (well except for maybe a few areas/projects) and deal with the
>> revamping/reorg on a longer term basis -- culling out a bit at a time.
>>
>> I think trying to deal with this NOW will considerably slow site migration
>> down, maybe even prevent it altogether and will considerably upset existing
>> users I think.
>>
>> The biggest problem with this alternate approach, well really ANY approach,
>> is that folks that formerly had commit rights to sites, won't, because they
>> aren't committers. And now, with the (somewhat) recent migration to kenai,
>> it's a bit difficult to tell what was going on before that.
>>
>> We should definitely think long term about migrating nearly all project home
>> pages to a wiki for easier maintenance. I think much of this had already
>> happened in actuality. People didn't want to deal with cvs/svn or anything
>> even remotely "techie" to participate.
> Ther is a webbased CMS on Apache at http://cms.apache.org . Well it's not a rich CMS,
but you can edit a page without using SVN and Command Line. I think cause the performance,
a static page as main page is not a bad idea. Markdown is much easier as html and as I said
above, you don't have to deal with svn for normal maintenance.

> The problem that not all content developer has access to the Apache CMS is true. The
problem is, that the ASF dosn't make a difference between Content Developer and Core Developer.
At ASF that's the same status. Become a Commiter it's not a fast proces.

You have to show sustained contribution. Patches and presense are noticed by the PPMC who
review and commit the work of non-commiter developers. Often this comes at the point where
the reviewing committers would rather have the contributor do it themselves. This is what
takes time.

> First you have to fill ICLA, then you have to be voted in by PPMC, and finaly you have
to wait for the apache account.

The main purpose of the ooo-private list is for the PPMC to discuss various individuals, vote,
and only once a new committer has an account will there be a welcome email on ooo-dev.

> At the OOo Project you have only ask a Project Lead for content defeloper right. Therefor
you have access to the whole site at Apache OOo.

Regards,
Dave