incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <>
Subject Re: OOo Trademark
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:14:02 GMT

On 21 Jul 2011, at 06:31, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 07/21/2011 01:11 PM, schrieb Eike Rathke:
>> Hi Peter,
>>> This is indeed a big and painful issue that should somehow be
>>> tackled. I think the I remember the former lead of the German OOo
>>> Marketing Project had collected several hundreds of cases of
>>> subscription fraud with OOo.
>> About 2000 reported cases as of June 2010, see
>> (all in German)
> Wow, what a frigthening number of cases. :-O

And there are many more in other countries. Defending the trademark just against
this nasty abuse is a full-time project. I would be be happy to participate in it once Apache
has standing.

Also, Shane & Andrew, do you know whether Oracle has objected to the trademark application
by Tightrope Interactive that was reported in The Register[1]?  It would be very sad to see
that one fall through the cracks during the hand-over.

View raw message