incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:03:00 GMT
Hi Michael,

On Wednesday, 2011-07-20 14:18:10 +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:

> On 20.07.2011 13:41, Eike Rathke wrote:
> >libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1
>
> that is an interesting point: we currently ship binaries of C++
> runtime libraries in the installation sets.
> i know that we do this for Linux and Windows, don't know about other
> platforms; presumably relicensing GCC or MSVC runtime under Apache
> license is not an option.

Certainly not.

> i guess we can probably drop the GCC libraries nowadays, because
> libstdc++ doesn't change its ABI as much as it used to, so everybody
> should have a good enough one on their system.

I'd suggest to drop the Linux general binary distributions anyway,
there's a hell of base line involved to support various mixes of library
versions. Providing packages for a few specific distributions would
probably be easier, with those there would be no need to bundle runtime
prerequisites.

> i wonder what would happen if we drop MSVC runtime?

Won't work unless you point users to "if you don't have this and that
library in this or that version install it from ...", too great a burden
for typical Windows users.

  Eike