incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:41:41 GMT
Hi Javier,

On Wednesday, 2011-07-20 15:27:03 +0700, Javier Sola wrote:

> If I remember correctly and unless it has changed, some patches were
> applied to ICU during the build. This required a specific version of
> ICU to which the patches were applied,

Correct, though with the update to ICU 4.* there are only a very few
patches left, see
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ICU/bugs_and_patches

The most problematic is the RPATH for URE patch, but I have no idea
anyway how to proceed with libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1 that so far
were distributed with the URE and are LGPL. If we don't, then the patch
would be moot.

> and this is why the ICU
> source was kept inside the OOo source (I believe).

Yes and no, initially packages were hosted by OOo whenever possible,
interfaces (API and ABI) may change between versions, especially
upgrading ICU from 2.6 to 3.6 required code changes in OOo and still
gave us lot of headaches later (read regressions) as quite some behavior
changed. It's easier to stay with a defined version.

However, in case of ICU I currently don't see a real problem to go with
system ICU when available, that's what distributions do since ages.

In fact using a more recent ICU usually has more benefits than
disadvantages.

  Eike