incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Boost regex
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:31:36 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Monday, 2011-07-18 07:57:02 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>> (1) boost/Regex_Experimental.tar.gz
>> Should be unpacked and committed or removed.

> I know we basically agreed ICU regex is the way to go, however,
> I just read somewhere on the net that Boost regex will become
> part of the latest C++ standard
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_Technical_Report_1

For Unicode, boost regex can be configured to use either the
incompatible and less capable wchar_t type, or the the ICU regex, see
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/unicode.html
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/ref/non_std_strings/icu.html

Currently I think it doesn't make sense to use boost as yet another
indirection layer on top of ICU that we would be using anyway. However,
it might turn out that boost regex objects and iterators with ICU may
result in an easier to interface implementation, we'll see.

> Since the work seems to have been done, I think we should
> include this code in the grant request, and perhaps use it
> until someone drops in a better replacement.

The Regex_Experimental stuff is very old, incomplete and probably
totally outdated.

  Eike