incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Releasing OOo 3.4 on the old infrastructure
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:06:52 GMT
Hi Andrea,

On Sunday, 2011-07-03 18:27:09 +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> 2) OpenOffice.org 3.4 is mostly ready. I built the latest code from hg
>    a couple weeks ago and I've regularly used it so far. The quality is
>    good and there is no risk of damaging the OOo reputation. All
>    release stoppers are bugs that will have to be fixed anyway, and
>    fixing them later will require the same amount of time.

There are a couple of CWSs targeted to OOo3.4 that address release
critical bugs and are not integrated to the OOO340 code line yet. Many
of them have status nominated, some not. A release should include them,
problem is that on the old OOo infrastructure work can't happen as

a) we don't know if that infrastructure will be available sufficiently
   long enough for all release relevant work

b) releases with the OpenOffice.org brand name will be bound to the
   trademark and can only be done by the trademark owner, IMHO (IANAL)

On the other hand, a release can't be done quickly on Apache, be it for
the incubator status of this project or merely because of technical
reasons that we won't get a releasable status of the code base in time
as we won't have the original OOO340 code base under ASL.

I would be delighted if someone pointed out a way we could solve that
dilemma, but I fear we're stuck at the moment.

  Eike