incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Commiters list
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:13:39 GMT

On Jul 14, 2011, at 10:54 AM, eric b wrote:

> Hi Mathias,
>
> Le 14 juil. 11 à 19:33, Mathias Bauer a écrit :
>>>
>>> In the current list, not everybody signed the ICLA, so why is it
>>> important ?
>>
>> As I understood it, the "list of initial committers" is just a place for a declaration
of intent to become a committer, while the status of being
>> a committer is a specific role at Apache with its specific requirements.
>> Being on the initial list just saves you from needing an invitation to become a committer,
but you nevertheless have to sign the ICLA to become

(1) with http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal  (2)
> We retrieve people in (1) who did not sign the ICLA as stated in (1).
>
> But maybe the list on the wiki is not up to date ...
>

>> You should read the ICLA carefully before you decide that you can't or don't want
to sign it.

> I did. But I thought we could contribute with patches without sign it.

Yes, but if you do it that way you are not a Committer, not on the PPMC, and not on the Podling
Status Page. Someone with Committer karma must commit your patches for you.

>> Simply put, it's not about copyright, just about IP clearance and licensing. Both
are important aspects of every software project. It's understandable that the ASF does not
accept contributions where it is unclear if the contributor has the necessary rights for the
contributed code.

> Yes, sure. IWe got students who would like to directly contribute to OpenOffice.org,
and I'll forward the info.

Signing an ICLA is a requirement to be a Committer, but it is not the only requirement. The
main requirement is merit earned by contributions to the existing project here. See http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

Initial Committers are a special case, the only merit required is signing up on the list.

Your students will need to contribute via the method of submitting patches which will be evaluated
and applied by Committers.

Regards,
Dave