incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Symphony contribution
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 00:07:14 GMT

On 13 Jul 2011, at 23:00, Rob Weir wrote:

> However, we at IBM have not been exemplary community members when it
> came to OpenOffice.org.  This wasn't necessarily by design, but for
> various reasons, that was the effect.  Yes, we participated in various
> community councils, and sponsored conferences and worked together on
> standards.  But when it came down to the code, we maintained Symphony
> essentially as a fork, and although we occasionally contributed code
> back, we did not do this well, or often.

Thanks for saying this, Rob. I for one appreciate the openness of this statement.

> First, we're going to contribute the standalone version of Lotus
> Symphony to the Apache OpenOffice.org project, under the Apache 2.0
> license.

While I'd not expect you to disclose secrets, can you say something about IBM's future intent
with this code? Do you intend to develop Symphony as an open source project in the future,
or is this a one-time code drop? It will make a difference to our collective planning.

Thanks,

S.