incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Converting the repo using mercurial's convert extension
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:10:50 GMT

--- On Thu, 7/28/11, Jens-Heiner Rechtien wrote:

> On 07/28/2011 04:32 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> >
> > --- On Thu, 7/28/11, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> >>
> >> [1] Note that with the map, it would also be
> >> possible to reuse the old OOo-Subversion repo
> >> for the linear commits, after all the hg repo
> >>  repo was a conversion from the server.
> >> This would save quite a bit of time.
> >>

> > I like this idea ... if the old SVN server is
> > still available and we can do a progressive
> > conversion of the rest of the Hg
> > stuff we will save a lot of metadata that had
> > previously been lost (plus we save conversion
> > time).
>
> It's still available: http://svn.services.openoffice.org/ooo
> resp. svn://svn.services.openoffice.org/ooo

Very, very nice.. it even has some old branches, perhaps those
can be updated progressively too at a later time! FWIW, it's
running Subversion 1.5.4.

There are also some extra tools: "The CWS tooling has been
reworked to adapt to SVN.".

> You can use svnsync to create a local copy of the rep. Will
> take a while :-)

Ugh... I don't have the space locally to do even this :(,
but it certainly looks like we can save a lot of stuff
(and time) from there.

> > I suspect the original CVS stuff that was lost in SVN
> > conversion is gone for good by now.
>
> Oh, I'm pretty sure that it's still available somewhere.
> There have been some CVSup mirrors of the stuff.
>
> But, frankly, I can't see the need of having the CVS stuff
> at hand. It's very hard to make sense of this historical
> data anyway, at least if you haven't got a decade of OOo
> developer knowledge under the belt.

Yes, I think the SVN conversion already has what could be
recovered easily, I doubt a newer conversion tool can add
much to it.

Thanks for the link. I hope we end up going this way!

Pedro.