incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 06:13:02 GMT
On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 22:45 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door
open, no questions asked?  Why?

Til July 31, because it's long enough in a completely arbitrary way.
Those dedicated to OOo and who have no problem signing the ICLA would
have done it by now in other than exceptional circumstances.  And as you
say it doesn't prevent them being invited to be comitters or on the PPMC
at a later date.

> Remember, Initial Committers are grandfathered in as committers and members of the PPMC
without being here and demonstrating commitment through their contributions.  It is not even
a matter of them being voted in based on existing reputation.  (I'm one of those myself.)

> At some point, one wants to be complete with intake of initial committers and working
toward a full-fledged meritocracy instead. I suspect it is possible that the PPMC will also
shrink if those who are already on it do not eventually demonstrate a commitment that would
have qualified them in the ordinary way.

> At what point does holding out that special status to those who have not shown up become
a point too far.  In this case, we are talking about folks who have not submitted an iCLA
and not responded to requests to submit them and, as far as I know, have not appeared on ooo-dev.
 Even if we withdraw the Initial Committer invitations at some point, there is no barrier
to becoming a contributor and demonstrating commitment to the project.  It's not fatal.

> I propose to ask each of these absent Initial Committers whether they intend to submit
an iCLA and how much time they want to do that.  It is a simple request.  There are any number
of possible responses.  I assume we will deal with the responses on an individual basis.
If they do not intend to submit an iCLA, it would be useful to know, so we don't have to be
expecting them, watching for the iCLA to arrive, etc.

> My goal is having them show up.  And if they are not going to show up, I would like to
know that.  Then we can tell when we have a full roster of Initial Committers that are ready
and willing as they signaled they were.

>  - Dennis

The Apache way is about lazy consensus, Yes?  Then lets work on a "lazy
consent", simply add the tag that outlines as above in brief:

"We thank you for your early support. We now have a working compliment
of PPMC members from the initial committers.  If you don't feel the need
to be on the PPMC or be a committer at this time, simply don't present
your ICLA before 31 July and you'll hear no more from us and we will
take that as read.  Of course this does not prevent you from becoming a
committer or being invited onto the PPMC at a later date."

Or something of that nature

Cheers
GL

Status