incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Acevedo <vea1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Suggestion for OOo branding...
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:35:28 GMT
Greetings to all developers of OpenOffice.org in Apache,

I am writing to you to make a suggestion for the branding of OpenOffice.org. After Oracle
bought Sun they decided to simplify document icons by changing the color coding to a unified
blue color. This was a departure for the previous color coding for OOo.

Pre-OOo 3.2.1:
	* Blue Doc Icon - Writer
	* Green Doc Icon - Calc
	* Orange Doc Icon - Impress
	* Yellow Doc Icon - Draw
	* Violet Doc Icon - Base
	* Blue/Gray Doc Icon - Math
Post-OOo 3.2.1
	* Blue ODF icons now represent all applications only the icon shape varies.
In my opinion although the unified version of OOo icons is nice, I think that some users might
confuse the icons if they look at a minimized version of them if using the "List" view in
Windows Explorer of Mac OS X Finder.

In an effort to reduce user confusion, I would like to forward the following suggestion. Rather
than redesigning the document icons, why not change the background color of the box that
says "ODF" from blue to the previous color that were used for each document icons that were
created by the different OOo modules. I have taken the liberty to do a rendering of the
finished product for your consideration.

Thanks to all developers for your time, and keep up the good work in OOo.

Sincerely,
Michael Acevedo