incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: ICU
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:13:14 GMT
FWIW,

System libraries are covered by exceptions to the GPL
and even the FSF have written in a FAQ that those don't
taint anything in userland.

This does remind me that it's really desirable to be
able to build OO with clang: not exactly due to the
licensing but for cleanliness and portability.

--- On Wed, 7/20/11, Eike Rathke wrote:

> I'd suggest to drop the Linux general binary distributions
> anyway, there's a hell of base line involved to support
> various mixes of library versions. Providing packages for
> a few specific distributions would probably be easier,
> with those there would be no need to bundle runtime
> prerequisites.

On FreeBSD we take care of our own binaries: we do frequent
package builds in a cluster, and I am sure linux
distributions do the same.

cheers,

Pedro.