incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: A first try to remove some copyleft components from the build
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:19:15 GMT

--- On Mon, 7/18/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> > I would like to add a couple more:
> >
> > 1) xpdf (GPL'd) is a run dependency, this is
> > linux/unix specific. PDFBox may be a replacement.
>
> This component is used for the pdf import extension, not
> for OOo itself.
>

> The pdf import extension is not built by default, there is
> a configure switch to enable it in the build. In that case
> xpdf would be required. I think that this already fulfils
> the legal requirements that building lgpl code must be
> "opt-in". So as far as I can see, this is not a "to do".

OK, that's fair. I do think it's convenient since I doubt
xpdf is portable beyond unix. FWIW, while looking at
PDFBox and it's dependencies, I became acquainted with the
Legion of the Bouncy Castle:
     http://www.bouncycastle.org/
A possible replacement for NSS if you don't care it's Java.

> > 2) The build requires GNU cp, which is inconvenient
> > for the BSDs and MacOS X:
> Nevertheless, I think that discussing GNU cp will
> happen on usability grounds, not caused by legal
> requirements. I added this to the todo list.

Thanks. I agree it's a usability issue, but just to
put this in context, it involves rebuilding all the
GNU coreutils package as a requisite for building
OpenOffice, which brings not only extra build time,
but also leaves a lot of bloat:

basename, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, cksum, comm,
cp, csplit, cut, date, dd, df, dir, dircolors, dirname,
du, echo, env, expand, expr, factor, false, fmt, fold,
groups, head, hostid, hostname, id, install, join, kill,
link, ln, logname, ls, md5sum, mkdir, mkfifo, mknod, mv,
nice,  nl, nohup, od, paste, pathchk, pinky, pr, printenv,
printf, ptx, pwd, readlink, rm, rmdir, seq, sha1sum, shred,
sleep, sort, split, stat, stty, su, sum, sync, tac, tail,
tee, test, touch, tr, true, tsort, tty, uname, unexpand,
uniq, unlink, uptime, users, vdir, wc, who, whoami, yes

It is worse than bash!

(sorry for the rant .. I know it's not your fault :) )

Pedro.