incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From BRM <bm_witn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache CMS Workflow and a Key Question
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:00:59 GMT
----- Original Message ----

> From: Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
> Am 07/18/2011 04:31 PM, schrieb BRM:

I am just noting that if you all cared about the history then there is a way to
get it given the previous repository, responding to what I quoted which
mentioned CVS.
I believe cvs2svn also supports several other repository systems; for example,
they also have a cvs2git tool.

It may be of interest to keep the history, but in a secondary repository for
archival/research purposes - again, supposing it is available.
Or you can do the following:

1. Build the history
2. Rename the existing repository
3. Load the existing history into a new repository
4. Dump the existing repository history
5. Load the existing repository history into the new repository as well.

The 'svnadmin' tool has a great functionality - you can load multiple SVN Dumps
into the same repository, and there are tools to make adjustments in both it and
the cvs2svn tools - e.g. in case the tree names changed.

I would caution though, that the it will take a good amount of time to  do step
#2 above - the larger the dump file the longer it takes to load  in.

So to recap, all I am saying is that it is possible to recover the history if
the community desired to do so; and that it may even be possible to do so while
keeping the existing changes since the existing SVN repository was setup.

Now, if it's of no interest to the community, then fine. This will just be a
footnote in the mailing list.

As always, $0.02

Ben