incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From BRM <bm_witn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache CMS Workflow and a Key Question
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:31:34 GMT
----- Original Message ----

> From: Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
> Am 07/14/2011 09:59 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
> >  (1) Get the existing svn website repository into the project's svn. I think
>we  should just export it all and then add to the project. The move from cvs to
>svn  in kenai has apparently lost all prior history. Do we care? If exports are
>fine  then we can proceed.
>
> Yes, history is lost. Here is an example on a file  that was imported
> into Kenai's SVN repo:
>
> r1 | kenaiadmin | 2011-02-23  15:51:43 +0100 (Wed, 23 Feb 2011) | 1 line
>
> initial import
>
> So, when  we import the Kenai SVN into the Apache SVN then commit history
> is not  important as we will loose data from February until today.
>
> At least,  that's my opinion.

FWIW - there is a project cvs2svn that can convert CVS/RCS into SVN dumps that
can then be loaded with full version history.

You can find it here: http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/

If the CVS used previously was CVSNT or another variant that had some
extensions, then it would be useful to lend them a hand with the support for
that CVS variant (or completing the CVSNT support).
Their resources are extremely limited but it is generally doable.

So, all is not necessarily lost - but it does depend on whether you want to
reload the SVN repo.

$0.02

Ben