incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Extensions and templates site down
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 06:20:01 GMT
On 12/07/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> > 1) The new extensions.openoffice.org site hosts no code or binaries.
> > It is simply a directory of 3rd party extensions and links to outside
> > sites for the actual files.

This would really be suboptimal since the OpenOffice.org community
really expects to use the extensions site both for downloading and
uploading extensions: unaffiliated members involved with extensions
development used to outnumber unaffiliated members working on core.

> > 2) Optionally, in conjunction with #1, host the extension source and
> > distributions at http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/ .
> ... 3) Have OOo extensions hosted by a 3rd party website and we link to
> that site.  It is done that way essentially now with OSL.  But I think
> we'll want to be more explicit about such links

OK, then it's probably time to decide on a DNS zone corresponding to
what used to be *.services.openoffice.org and dedicated to community
resources, since the Apache Extras option does not seems practical
seeing the dozens of sites needed. Maybe "*.services.openoffice.org" is
not explicit enough: would "*.community.openoffice.org" be better?
Shorter options?

Regards,
  Andrea.