incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Extensions and templates site down
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 02:22:06 GMT

--- On Tue, 7/12/11, Jomar Silva <homembit@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011/6/12 19:38 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>
> > While this is understandable, it is not good enough.
> > We will have to find an alternative repository and
> > link to it from Apache's website. This is something
> > that can wait though.
>
> Can you please explain the 'not good enough' and also
> propose an alternative solution ?

(keeping politics apart)
The Office Suite market is very competitive and we want
to be commercially friendly if we want to have success.
Furthermore we are providing an API specifically so that
commercial guys use it. Forcing developers to make
available the source in order to be listed is not very
commercial friendly.

I am sure we can find someone else that can host those
files, and if some sort of ad supported service is
provided that's OK too. With time we may even offer
some sort of certification seal if that helps attract
developers and users.

cheers,

Pedro.