incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:31:55 GMT

--- On Tue, 7/12/11, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
,,,

> All this under the OpenOffice.org Brand.  There has
> been a lot of noise around LibreOffice with those
> Linux Distributions who used Go-OOo now distributing
> with LO, but those numbers, compared to OOo across all
> platforms are miniscule and I believe that will remain the
> same unless of course this stalling of development, forced
> on us by Oracle, continues or the brand is modified
> violently so that we have re-establish our brand right
> from the beginning.  In our consumer market tacking Apache
> on the end would do just this.

I don't think anyone will argue against keeping the
"OpenOffice.org" product name, Apache owns the trademark and
it has a value we want to preserve.

The discussion is around the Project name:

I strongly lean towards "Apache OpenOffice" because:

- Removing the .org is not a violent rebranding: people already
refer to "OpenOffice.org" simply as "OpenOffice": look for
OpenOffice on Google and you will find only OpenOffice.org.
- Apache already has a .org in it's domain name.
- Apache does add value to the name, even if it's likely to
be known only by web administrators and developers.

No matter what you decide, I think it's likely the end user will
drop the .org and the Apache and just say "OpenOffice" to both
the product and the project.

cheers,

Pedro.