incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:44:41 GMT
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 19:54 -0400, Carl Marcum wrote:
> It seems to me that a lot of the problem arises in keeping the
> development project and the product brand names exactly the same.
>
> If there are indeed going to to be 2 websites, OpenOffice.org which is
> where end users go to get the product, help, etc. and the
> <tbd>.apache.org where the development project resides.
>
> I understand the need to maintain the product brand.
>
> +1 to keep OpenOffice.org the product (at least near term).
>
> I think the Apache brand strengthens the project development and that's
> one reason I'm here.
>
> +1 for Apache OpenOffice the project.
>
> Looking at the people listing, it's possible not all members are here
> because of OpenOffice.org the product, but common development of the
> code base.
>
> Best regards,
> Carl

I may have mentioned in another mail that marketing OOo has two entirely
different target markets, each is targeted for entirely different
reasons:  The front office Document producer and Developers.  In the
former OpenOffice.org is a very strong brand, but Apache is almost
nonexistent.  In the latter OpenOffice.org is also a strong brand but as
Danese pointed out Apache's brand is strong in this target group and I
would suggest stronger because generally Apache has more positive brand
recognition whereas OOo, in this demographic, does have a level of
negativity to the brand.

I'm with Carl and Pavel on this, it gives us distinct brands for Devs
and for Front Office End Users

Cheers
GL
--