incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Future of OOo
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:42:57 GMT
--- On Thu, 7/7/11, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> The original OpenOffice.org project is no more and that
> there are now two projects taking the code forward. Seems
> easy enough to understand and gives no scope for arguing
> about who is to blame for what. And uses neither the word
> "split" or "fork" :-)

I know you want to be politically correct and don't want
to alienate other potential developers, but the undeniable
facts are:

The official OpenOffice.org project is migrating to Apache,
this doesn't mean OpenOffice.org is no more, like you
wouldn't say "subversion" or any other Apache project is
no more. People that have heard of OpenOffice will look for
Apache OpenOffice first (which is both good and bad in
certain sense).

LibreOffice is a fork from before such migration and
considering the personal costs involved they are
probably proud of it. Forks are not bad per-se but,
while in general there is a community perception
that forks are bad, we are not responsible for this
one and we can't do anything about it.

None of this is something to be ashamed of, in any camp,
so I see no benefit in avoiding the words "fork" or
"split".

Pedro.