incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:42:02 GMT
Hello ...

--- On Tue, 7/5/11, Drini Nosi <drini.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I read this thread, it makes me a
> bit sad to see that the community of the OpenSourceOffice is
> actually splitting in two, and I don't understand why.

Corporate interests. Some linux distributions and developers
were not happy with the copyright owner and started a fork.
Please note that Apache didn't fork, and didn't split any
community, we were just offered the chance to do something new
and absolutely cool.

> I am not a developer, just a user, so I don't understand
> the technicalities. I can understand the differences between
> the licenses and their meaning to the developers, but
> wouldn't it been better to have ONE open project? If
> LibreOffice would have not started, then Apache
> OpenOffice.org would have not happened.

That's very speculative. Apache OpenOffice is not happening
due to LibreOffice, it's an entirely independent project with
different objectives; one of them providing a truly open
alternative to copyleft alternatives.

> TDF promisses an open and friendly environment to
> contribute. I don't (HONESTLY) understand why the developers
> don't want to contribute to LibreOffice, but want to spilt
> the project in two? (Speaking in user terms).

No one is splitting anything. I personally prefer not to
contribute anything different than bug reports to copyleft
projects, so for me Apache OO is a good opportunity to
actually contribute to something, otherwise I would choose
not to contribute at all.

> From one side, the concurrence can be good because it makes
> the participants of the two projects strive to make
> something better then the other, but at the end this is a
> voluntary BIG project (LibreOffice + Apache
> OpenOffice.org).
>
> Why not be ONE project?

Ask calligra, koffice, abiword, etc ... or the many linux
distributions (Remember United Linux?). I have no answer
for that, other than perhaps users value diversity.

cheers,

Pedro.