incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Website Content plus Look and Feel Improvements
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 04:29:10 GMT
On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 12:57 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Yesterday I got tired of the look of people.mdtext in the project site. It was so 1990s.
So, I've improved the look via css and adding defined widths. I guess I am volunteering for
the item on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

which reduces the granularity by more than an order of magnitude. The page http://projects.openoffice.org/
is a good and clear way to start - and pretty much fits the structure on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning

up on http://openoffice.apache.org/ or stay on the successor http://*.openoffice.org/.

> Projects have "webcontent" and/or "wiki" content. On openoffice.org there is a generally
consistent look. There are exceptions which are marketing sites like http://why.openoffice.org/.
The difference is glaring because that is the first big button on the main site.

The why.openoffice.org page was done as a marketing tool independently
of the main website and the Website team under the marketing project by
one of the members of the marketing team and for a specific marketing
campaign.  Andre's design was so good we left it as is, however there
had been intention to change it suit the overall look but volunteer time
availability to do it was lacking.  It still served a purpose as a very
useful marketing resource so pulling it down just because of a
non-standard look was never an option.

> Webcontent is available via svn - "svn co https://svn.openoffice.org/svn/${project}~webcontent
${project}" (Thanks Marcus Lange)

> Some projects are huge and others small. I downloaded several:
>
> wave@minotaur:~/ooo-test$ ls -1
> development
> documentation
> download
> projects
> www
>
> The size is 2.7GB.
>
> It would be good to come up with a scripted way to convert existing webcontent to either
mdtext, an altered html, or specialized javascript and css. It is likely we can adapt the
content and use the Apache CMS to wrap a standard skeleton.

> Regards, Dave

Much of what is on there is legacy material that could be seriously
pruned.  For instance all the old Marketing material that is V2.0 and
earlier could be deleted.

Argument could be made for the marketing material to start from scratch.
Personally I'd like to see a whole new branding and get shot of the old
stuff, make the first Apache release: V4.0 (Historically, significant
global change has meant a whole number change in the version: V2 new
codebase, V3 Apple compatibility. I think this is significant enough:
pre V4 = LGPL license, V4 and later = ALV2)  From a marketing POV it
gives us a handle to hang a campaign on.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,