incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Future of OOo
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:20:37 GMT

On 7 Jul 2011, at 17:10, IngridvdM wrote:

> Am 07.07.2011 17:26, schrieb Simon Phipps:
>>
>> On 7 Jul 2011, at 16:03, IngridvdM wrote:
>>
>>> Am 07.07.2011 12:56, schrieb Donald Harbison:
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I would like to change this part of the description. I think it should be made
absolute clear to the public that the split of the community has happened before and completely
independent from the donation of OpenOffice.org to the Apache Software Foundation. The creation
of LibreOffice/TDF has happend already last year in 2010.

>> While I understand why you believe this, I think it's unhelpful "framing" that's
likely to perpetuate division. I prefer Don's approach, which takes a higher-level view of
what has happened.

> Not being precise on the historic facts here and creating or only allowing the wrong
impression that the Apache OpenOffice has caused the split of the community will do harm to
this project. It will also hinder the healing process between the communities. So if you are
interested in the welfare of both communities and the healing between them, help to handle
this with more care.

The original OpenOffice.org project is no more and that there are now two projects taking
the code forward. Seems easy enough to understand and gives no scope for arguing about who
is to blame for what. And uses neither the word "split" or "fork" :-)

S.