incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Undue Influence (was RE: Another introduction)
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 03:46:12 GMT

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: rabastus@gmail.com [mailto:rabastus@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Rob Weir
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 19:37
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Another introduction

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
> There was no error in the question, decisions made at IBM, whether
> policy on OSS, Developer time allowance, code release to the core, work
> on elements that are only useful in Symphony.... these are corporate
> decisions that can affect the project.

Actually, none of this can affect the project unless the project
accepts the work we do.  We have a PPMC of what?  50?  60? 70 members?
 And how many IBM employees on it?  Maybe 6?  7? 8?  All we can do is
offer contributions.  Remember, even a project Committer does not have
absolute ability to make changes at whim.  Changes are reviewed and
can be rejected by other Committers.

If you are saying that IBM engineers collectively have the ability to
make contributions that could be accepted by the project and by being
accepted would affect the project, then I thank you for the
compliment.  But I don't see a problem here.  Honestly, we're getting
pretty equal criticism from people suggesting we're not going to
contribute enough as there are people concerned that we're going to
contribute too much.

[ ... ]