incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Releasing OOo 3.4 on the old infrastructure
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:01:21 GMT
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here, Simon.  I wasn't thinking about transfer
of ownership at all, but of the fact that the visible code base is under LGPL and we at Apache
have no easy claim on anything pulled into LibreOffice with further modification, integration,
etc.

If the Oracle grant (a license) applies to the code at a particular snapshot in time, then
I assume that changes to that code after that might not be covered (however covered by the
CLA to Oracle/Sun), and certainly anything which involves additional files might not be covered.

I guess one way to synchronize all of this is, at the point in time when we have the list
and we ask Oracle to define that as the artifacts covered in the license to Apache, that those
resources be locked down and no longer subject to change in the place where they reside.

And the pull to Apache would be based on that (since by then we will probably have practiced
it a couple of times).

Does that make sense?

Or is it a non-issue so long as it is done inside the current OpenOffice.org structure (changes
to which the LibreOffice folk seem to regularly pull into their code base in any case).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Phipps [mailto:simon@webmink.com]
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 13:11
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Releasing OOo 3.4 on the old infrastructure

On 4 Jul 2011, at 17:01, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Uh, wait, I then said to myself, how do we get that back under Apache OpenOffice.org
unless we manage to have it covered under the Oracle grant. Hmm.

Keep in mind that Oracle's grant merely relicenses the source, it does not transfer ownership
to anyone else. It's thus OK to carry out the work necessary to build the list of which files
require relicensing anywhere we want to. We may well want to do that on a working build system,
rather than iterating towards a comprehensive list.

S.