incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:33:04 GMT
I concur.  It makes no sense for LibreOffice contributors to be asked to make their patches
available under ALv2 as well as the LGPL3+ and MPL that they are already being asked to submit
under (all without any CLA anywhere, of course).  It also makes no further sense to expect
that commercial firms with proprietary implementations will start making code available under
[L]GPL or accepting contributions with such licenses.

There are specific limitations that the different licenses (and the CLA requirement) have
for folks and expecting the other guy to change seems to be nothing but an opportunity cost
sink.

For example, I regard [L]GPL code as toxic and I avoid even reading it, although I have filed
an iCLA, am an Apache OpenOffice.org Podling committer, and am happy to read and contribute
to code under the ALv2 and other permissive licenses, including the venerable BSD license
model.  It's my choice and the ALv2 licensing of the OpenOffice.org code base is a god-send
for me to the extent it is a playing field I can consider entering.

At the same time, as I'm sure has been noticed, there are many folks who participate in both
the Apache OpenOffice.org Podling and LibreOffice in various ways.  Apart from our differences,
there is also a great deal where some of us are quite agnostic and have no quarrel with either
and both projects succeeding, along with others, including (for some of us) commercial ones.

My over-riding passion is about achievement of interoperability as well as some increased
quality that is possible with more complete ODF specifications as well as descriptions of
the extent to which ODF is supported in implementations.  I don't care how interoperability
is achieved nor by whom, simply the fact of its achievement.

I say that there are a variety of areas of common interest that can be addressed cooperatively
by the extended community, regardless of whether or not patches and code are shared, and in
whatever directions.  We can and should avoid hot-button issues that become show-stoppers
and focus on areas of agreement.  I believe there are many to be found.  It is for the mutual
benefit of our users and I think that should be the compelling factor.

 - Dennis