incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Uh oh: OpenOffice.org XML Namespaces and Sun Mediatypes
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:01:32 GMT
I'm operating on the assumption that Apache OpenOffice.org will end up with the keys to the
openoffice.org lease and will host/redirect it in some manner for some time into the future,
especially if we advance to TLP.

This matters in that it would be very valuable to have those namespace URIs resolve to whatever
the definitions of the content of those namespaces happen to be, so we can at least arrive
at an agreement on what those are, du jour.

Branching to ODF namespaces, Apache namespaces, etc., are all subsequent possibilities that
do not require immediate attention.

My main concern, as part of the acceptance of OpenOffice.org and having a functioning podling,
is the preservation of authority for those namespaces and any activity that can be undertaken
to actually know what the existing namespaces determine and what the syntax/semantics are.

We also have a community responsibility, if we choose to accept it, where the use by other
projects needs to be supported in some amicable way.  I see this as an opportunity for OOO
and LibreOffice collaboration, for example, to the extent there is a common interest in preserving
what these are.

 - Dennis

PS: I hadn't thought of the Java and .Net ways of disambiguating the names of externally-bindable
enties and the canonical structure of class paths.  Do we have any concern for org.openoffice.
... .mumble in that context?