incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 05:45:59 GMT
Let me ask the question in reverse: how long do you think that we should leave the door open,
no questions asked?  Why?

Remember, Initial Committers are grandfathered in as committers and members of the PPMC without
being here and demonstrating commitment through their contributions.  It is not even a matter
of them being voted in based on existing reputation.  (I'm one of those myself.)

At some point, one wants to be complete with intake of initial committers and working toward
a full-fledged meritocracy instead. I suspect it is possible that the PPMC will also shrink
if those who are already on it do not eventually demonstrate a commitment that would have
qualified them in the ordinary way.

At what point does holding out that special status to those who have not shown up become a
point too far.  In this case, we are talking about folks who have not submitted an iCLA and
not responded to requests to submit them and, as far as I know, have not appeared on ooo-dev.
 Even if we withdraw the Initial Committer invitations at some point, there is no barrier
to becoming a contributor and demonstrating commitment to the project.  It's not fatal.

I propose to ask each of these absent Initial Committers whether they intend to submit an
iCLA and how much time they want to do that.  It is a simple request.  There are any number
of possible responses.  I assume we will deal with the responses on an individual basis.
If they do not intend to submit an iCLA, it would be useful to know, so we don't have to be
expecting them, watching for the iCLA to arrive, etc.

My goal is having them show up.  And if they are not going to show up, I would like to know
that.  Then we can tell when we have a full roster of Initial Committers that are ready and
willing as they signaled they were.

 - Dennis