incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Q: Notices in Code - Answered and Thanks Y'All
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 02:44:06 GMT
There's a story, perhaps apocryphal (i.e., like the bicycle shed story), about Tom Watson approaching
a Sr.VP for Human Resources in a hallway and asking how college students get summer jobs at
IBM.  The Sr.VP said he'd get back to him.

I will say no more.  You might imagine how this went South when the only thing Watson wanted
to know was to what to tell a neighbor whose son wanted to apply for one of those jobs.  The
more experience you have in corporate life (and on some developer lists), you can imagine
where this might have ended up instead.  (Serious analysis and study, crash project, charts,
slides, big conference room presentation, etc.)

However, Greg answered my question in his first reply on this thread:

"Right. Whenever possible."

It is useful to learn about RAT and the committers tools, although it doesn't apply to my
situation.  My question was not about how to make the notice, it was about how Greg seemed
to stamp it onto every textual artifact he committed to SVN.

Two lessons:
 1. I need to be careful about answering the (actual) question being asked.
 2. When I ask questions, I need to be very clear what the question is (and still risking
that won't be the question answered).

 - Dennis