incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Project + PPMC Growing Pains
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:30:16 GMT
We are just one month into being the Apache OpenOffice.org Podling.  It is useful to interesting
to take stock of all that is happening and where we are.

The main activity that we are all holding our breath over is the reconstitution of the code
base under Apache.  There is also concern for the documentation and web sites and how they
fit under an Apache umbrella.

Depending on their interests and specialties, not everyone here is immediately able to contribute
much.  We are in the process of organizing and bringing over and IP-scrubbing the initial
artifacts for the project that will be the foundation for further work.  There is not much
to get our teeth into in terms of actual development until that is sorted out.  (E.g., we
don't have a bug tracker yet and the documentation, localization, and user-facing folk, including
marketing, are still wondering how our project will accommodate them.)

Meanwhile, there is also how we organize ourselves to operate as an Apache project.

 - Dennis

	1. BOOTSTRAPPING COMMITTERS AND THE PPMC
	2. HOW LONG IS THE OPEN DOOR OPEN?
	3. WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO BE A COMMITTER AS TIME GOES ON?
	4. WHEN BEING MORE PRIVATE THAN PRIVATE IS IMPORTANT

 1. BOOTSTRAPPING COMMITTERS AND THE PPMC

The set of Initial Committers is a self-selected group who added their names to the Initial
Committers list on the original incubator proposal.  That's how the podling is bootstrapped.
 Likewise, ooo-dev participation is fully self-selected, and it will stay that way.

This means that we are a group of people who have not worked together as a single Apache project
community before, even though there are a variety of mutual acquaintances and associations
in the mix.

Of the Initial Committers, a subset were eager to be on the project and have arrived. That
is the overwhelming source of the current 54 committers, 41 also being on the PPMC.

 2. HOW LONG IS THE OPEN DOOR OPEN?

There are still about two-dozen Initial Committers who have not yet registered an iCLA. We
don't know if they are arriving or not.  One issue is when to close the door on initial committers
who have taken no initiative to be here, although reminders have been sent out.

It is also the case that all initial committers are welcome to participate in the PPMC but
not all have taken action to do so.  At some point, the PPMC will not grow automatically and
that also needs to be resolved.

 3. WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO BE A COMMITTER AS TIME GOES ON?

We vote on other committers the same as any [P]PMC.  The addition of two invited committers
has already been reported.

One thing that concerns the PPMC (who, for all but two members, walked through an open door)
is how and when do we move from consideration of previous reputation and being known to some
of us to a situation where contribution on the podling is the determining factor.  We're working
our way through that.  The PPMC is also concerned that, although the addition of new committers
and new PPMC members is carried out in private, we be transparent about how we are conducting
ourselves and that we demonstrate that we are even-handed about it.

It is not clear what the ooo-dev community wants to see and what the understood progression
to the normal rules for invitation of committers should be.

 4. WHEN BEING MORE PRIVATE THAN PRIVATE IS IMPORTANT

The PPMC is responsible for dealing, quietly and privately, with security matters and their
resolution.  The security@ team informs us that because we have so many members who are unknown
here and also to each other at this point, a limited ooo-security@incubator.apache.org list
is essential.  We need to identify those few among us who have appropriate skills and sensibilities
around security matters and who can keep their work secret when that is appropriate.

For this, we want to know who has been on the security teams of OpenOffice.org and who happen
to be here also.  There will also be cross-communication with other security teams that operate
on the same code base, or in some cases, that operate on the same document formats.

We will be going ahead with the creation of the private ooo-security list for that purpose.
 What we are waiting for is identification of three moderators who are distributed around
the earth's time zones well enough to provide moderation of incoming reports in something
approximating 24/7 coverage.

[end]