incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 20:40:12 GMT
I did not include a time limit, because we had not agreed on one.  Instead, I made the request
to indicate whether they intended to submit an iCLA and how much time they would need (for
whatever review reasons or other determinations involved).

These Initial Committers were already sent a bulk e-mail on June 23.

Why would we not expect the Initial Committers who signed up by June 10 to report whether
they intend to actually become committers?  It is about their commitment, it seems to me.
 And they always have the opportunity to become committers by showing up and contributing,
the same as for anyone who is not an Initial Committer.

My thought was to wait 15-30 days after we approach all of them individually and then send
a follow-up to ones who have not responded at all indicating that the invitation to become
committers and PPMC members is being withdrawn.  (Assuming we decide to do that and set such
a date.)

I would make the changes that Stephen Bergmann recommended.

More feedback and discussion, please.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan C. Sanz [mailto:juancsanzc@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 12:28
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer
Status

El 22/07/2011 5:10, Dennis E. Hamilton escribió:
> There are 20 Initial Committers on the OpenOffice.org incubator proposal who have not
yet submitted iCLAs or informed us of their intention not to do so.

> Today I used the following format for a message to one of those Initial Committers.
>
> Before 19 more of these are sent out I wanted to check how understandable this is.
>
> I am particularly concerned for how clear this is for those who are not native English
speakers.

> I welcome your advice.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> *** specimen message ***

OpenOffice.org incubator podling. You are also invited to serve on the Podling Project Management
Committee after you are established as a committer.

> The prerequisite to becoming established as a committer is to register an iCLA agreement
with Apache.

> Our records indicate that no iCLA has been received from you.
>
> If you do not choose to submit an iCLA, please report your decision to<ooo-private@incubator.apache.org>.
 We will then know not wait for it.

> If you are submitting an iCLA, please report your decision to ooo-private@incubator.apache.org
and indicate how much time you need before the iCLA will be sent to Apache.

> For more information and iCLA/CCLA forms, go to<http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas>.
 Complete instructions for submission of an iCLA is at the top of the form (text or PDF).

> We welcome your contribution to the Apache OpenOffice.org incubator project.
>
>   - the Apache OpenOffice.org incubator Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC)
>
> *** end of specimen message ***

I think it's understundandable. But, what is the next step? how long do
we wait for the user id?
Regards.
Juan C. Sanz