incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Suggestion for OOo branding...
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 20:40:12 GMT
Having thought about it some more, I think it is undesirable to use ODF as an identifier in
the icons that are established by specific products.

We are confusing application association and format.

Furthermore, if there is to be an agreement on such icons as generic to the format, it should
be arrived at as a wider agreement than one made within OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice projects.

This thread is about OOo branding, and collapsing that onto a matter of ODF "branding" is
troublesome for me.  Anything about ODF should be product-agnostic.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@openoffice.org]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 06:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Suggestion for OOo branding...

Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> this issue of the colored icons has been considered a major one
> for several time in the Italian OOo community, both for usability and
> brand reasons.

Indeed. To add to the links already seen in other messages, the
OpenOffice.org community (actually, the names in the "iTeam" were all
from Oracle, even though everyone could join) was (is?) working at a
redesign described in
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ODF_icons_i-team
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ODF_Icon_Redesign

However, that was still a bit unsatisfactory for the community at large,
since it didn't address the color problem (see mockups and guidelines at
the links above).

Regards,
   Andrea.