incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Q: Notices in Code
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:43:37 GMT
My question is not about the code developed at ASF but the one for folks "own use" of the Apache
license.

I assume that the same applies because you'd want to see those if the code were donated to
Apache.

I will take on the practice.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 13:06
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Q: Notices in Code

On Jul 28, 2011 12:44 PM, "Rob Weir" <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > Simple version of the question: Is your putting notices on everything
your personal practice or is it a requirement that this be done with all
textual artifacts where notices are possible?

> >  - Dennis
> >
> > LONGER VERSION
> >
> > I looked over the ooo/trunk/tools/dev/ repository and noticed that you
put Apache notices on all of your files, including .txt and .sh.

> > I have been setting up forensic tools on a different repository that I
happen to be the sole committer for, and I wanted to stage things so that
they could be cleanly transferred/granted to Apache if that became desirable
at some point.  I am being careful with category A third-party code, not
using any other kind, and putting everything else and the combined works
under an Apache license.

> > Is it a rigorous requirement to put Apache notices on all textual files
that I am placing under the Apache license?  (I have test data that, by its
nature, I can't do that with, but I can do so on the containers and
descriptive texts about that data.)

> Does this page answer your question?
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Right. Whenever possible.

We have a tool called RAT (no link handy right now) that will help identify
files missing a header. We can start running that later, after we get things
building.

Cheers,
-g