incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Q: Notices in Code - Answered and Thanks Y'All
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 06:29:35 GMT
I'm not going to dig up the relevant texts.  Here's a recap:

1. I noticed that you put Apache notices in each and every text file you have committed to
the ooo SVN.

2. I asked if that was a requirement or simply your personal practice?  I must not have asked
it very well.  Here is the very top of my message:

"Simple version of the question: Is your putting notices on everything
your personal practice or is it a requirement that this be done with all
textual artifacts where notices are possible?"

3. Rob (not you) answered my message by pointing out where the instructions for use of the
Apache License by Apache authors were.

4. On Rob's reply, below Rob's link to those instructions, you added in-line,
"Right. Whenever possible."

5. I took that as my answer.   And somewhere on this thread I thought I'd said as much.

6. I posted the little ditty about getting answers to questions not asked because the thread
kept accumulating more advice after my question was already answered to my satisfaction.
There was nothing wrong with the answers.  They just weren't responsive to my question.  (And
I was a little put out that the responders thought I didn't know that already.  I took that
as a reflection on the poor quality of my question as well, that it was taken as ignorance
that I do not possess. I have other ignorance, but not that.)

The oddness about the place of your response for me was because you put it below Rob's response
and not directly after my question, so I had to interpolate.

I have a good-enough answer.  If that is still obtuse for you, let's just forget the whole
thing, OK?

 - Dennis

PS: I just added Copyright and Apache License notices everywhere I could in the SVN of my
project, just the way you do in .txt files, .sh (or .bat in my case), etc.  I did it while
downloading a new version of some software that takes over 6 GB total.  Now I think I'll start
reading Jack McDevitt's "Echo" while I am waiting for more of the download set to complete.