incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: DITA for Doc?
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 23:33:48 GMT

On Jul 6, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>>  we've already done the work
>>> of converting much of the OOo help to DITA.
>>
>> Is there a software grant coming?
>>

> It is worth considering.  But I'm not going to face that corporate red
> tape merely on speculation that this might be useful.  Let's first
> discuss whether the DITA approach seems reasonable.  I think it is
> important for content authors to be aware that this would be writing
> documentation with tags, similar to HTML.  Good HTML.  But this
> structure would give us loads of flexibility for how we structure the
> content, combine it is different ways, and publish it.
>
> You can get a flavor of DITA here:
>
> http://www.xmlmind.com/tutorials/DITA/index.html

An example is always helpful. I think that DITA is a reasonable form.

The topicref hierarchy is a critical necessity. It is likely as good as

> Tags are off-putting to some people who just want to work in a WYSIWYG
> fashion, so I wanted to check.

I like tags. Where is a complete reference?

It is difficult to repurpose content if is over-fiddled with in a WYSIWYG fashion.

Since we want to repurpose this content in many ways this can make sense.

>  One possible way of working is to
> accept raw content in any reasonable format, ODF, DOC, HTML, yellow
> crayon on a napkin, etc., and then have a manual cut & paste process
> to get that into DITA initially, and then maintain it that way going
> forward.

I think that we can strive to go back and forth between DITA and markdown. The Apache CMS
is easily extensible with XSL. I can see how to structure a transformation.

How does DITA handle style sheets? Is it easy to have different layout templates for different
outputs.

Is there an ODF to DITA translation?

I am currently looking closely at the Apache CMS someone will need to look at the requirements.
Where's the best release and what's required?

Regards,
Dave