incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:35:09 GMT
Ingrid,

You can help me.

I am having difficulty finding a concrete case for completely open-ended invitation of Initial
Committers.

Suppose you were on the Initial Committer list.  You had not sent an iCLA. You had not responded
to a request to take that step as part of being established as an official committer for the
Apache OpenOffice.org podling.

If that was you, what would you be holding onto by wanting that invitation to be permanent
without taking the steps that go with accepting it?

If that was you, what would have this be rude or an insult that you be expected to take the
initiative and show up as an established committer.

Why would you not be taking committed actions to create and grow the Apache OpenOffice.org
project?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: IngridvdM [mailto:IngridvdM@gmx-topmail.de]
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:46
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer
Status

Am 23.07.2011 18:51, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jul 23, 2011, at 9:29 AM, IngridvdM wrote:
>
>> Please find my comments inline.
>>
>> Am 23.07.2011 14:45, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
[...]
>>> And for this we have to define a deadline. My suggestion is still end of
>>> July or latestly end of August.
>>>
>> No given reason has convinced me of the necessity of a deadline here.
>
> While there is ample reason to have a generous deadline, I haven't heard a good reason
not to have a deadline.

In general one can avoid a lot of unnecessary work while doing only
those things where is a good reason to do them.
In contrast doing all things where is no good reason against leaves one
with a lot more todos ;-)
Really this argument is about not becoming too bureaucratic.

But my other argument is that I feel it is socially alienating if we are
threatening people with deadlines without giving them a reason for it.
My impression was that Wolf Halton has felt the same. He has asked for a
reason, but not gotten an answer yet.

So in the end I think those who are voting for a deadline need to
provide a good reasons to do so.

Kind regards,
Ingrid