incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Project + PPMC Growing Pains
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:22:16 GMT
Just to be clear: The time in proposal was 10 days, from June 1 to June 10.  "Weeks" is a stretch.

I don't think this matters.  I don't think the duration before the proposal was voted on was
determined by any notion of some community having time to notice and the participants time
to arrive and participate.  The threshold was simpler than that, as far as I can tell, and
perhaps more driven by some urgency to have acceptance of the incubator project be resolved.
 I know that was on my mind.

It happens that the Initial Committers are a self-selected group whose only qualification
is (1) editing an entry on a wiki page and (2) doing what it takes to show up. It's an arbitrary
solution to the bootstrapping of a podling.

The other arbitrary part is that, immediately and thereafter, all further committer invitations
be based on visible contribution at the podling.

If those are the rules, they are the rules, as in any game.  There are folks who find them
unreasonable.

We should acknowledge that objection even though the PPMC is expected to be unswerving in
its adherence to policies.

So, are we to make it clear that this is how the Apache Podling bootstrap game is played and
there is no point in arguing with the umpire about what the rules of play are?

 - Dennis