incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial Committer Status
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:57:01 GMT
Here is what I propose based on the discussion so far:

 1. Make the modifications to the message already proposed, but without addition of any kind
of deadline.  Simply request their intentions to file an iCLA (and by when) or not.  I do
want to be gracious and accept that there may be many difficulties in understanding and in
execution.

 2. Not take any action on that message until after 2011-07-27 when I will have returned from
OSCON and can review further discussion on this list.  I would like to send the message by
2011-07-29.

 3. On 2011-08-18, send all of those who have not responded at all a message saying that the
time limit for their responding is 2011-09-15 and if there has been no response, the invitation
to serve as an Initial Committer will be withdrawn.  They can of course join ooo-dev and contribute
in any manner they choose at any time.

  - Dennis

RATIONALE:

Initial Committer status is the exception, not the rule.

It was also exceptional that the OpenOffice.org proposal accepted anyone who added their name
to the proposal wiki page as an Initial Committer.

We want to move from the initial bootstrap to operating as a regular podling and PPMC, first
to operate smoothly and secondly to qualify for graduation to a full Top-Level Project (TLP)
and PPMC.

We have 20 people on the Initial Committer list who did not show up and that have not responded
since reminded of their opportunity on June 23.

The *only* time limit I believe we are discussing are any of those who are non-responsive
to the next e-mail reminder and request for their intentions.  For those who do respond, what
we do will depend on their response. I, for one, want to support them any way we can to establish
themselves as committers if that is their desire.

I don't know what to do about language issues.  I reviewed the list and there are at least
five different languages represented, perhaps more.  The best we could do for that is provide
the English text followed by a translation into a language that the recipient might be more
comfortable with.  That leaves open the question of how comfortable will they be as committers
and PPMC members where the working language is only English.