incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: single repository status
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:32:43 GMT
I think that the desire to have a full history is a serious one.

I fancy Michael's option 3 (that which shall not be numbered [;<).  It sounds like the
least that could possibly work, so it strikes me as an important approach to consider, especially
if it sheds critical path for getting the code base to Apache in useful form.

I don't have any insight into the ability to continue massaging that Hg/git into an SVN that
could be merged later, but it seems desirable to have anyhow.  Maybe Ben knows about prospects
like that also.

The only problem I would foresee has to do with any material in the Hg/git repo that is not
part of the Apache license grant and that has some sort of Apache incompatibility.  I haven't
followed the analysis by Marcus closely enough to know how much that is a problem.

And these are completely armchair observations ...

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stahl [mailto:mst@openoffice.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 14:27
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: single repository status

[ ... ]

basically we have these options for converting to SVN:

1. convert full history
    requires writing tool to create SVN branches and mergeinfo

2. convert trunk only, using follow-first-parent heuristic
    with hacks where we want to follow second parent instead

3. no history in SVN, just check in OOO340 tip

option 1. seems to be too much effort to me, and would have to be
implemented by a real SVN wizard.

option 2. requires some effort, but should be doable; we still lose all
CWS internal history though (e.g. CWS undoapi becomes a single 57,788
line changeset against 562 files).

after thinking about it for a while, a trunk-only history in SVN doesn't
seem to be all that useful to me (you need to go over the network to
access something incomplete...).

far more useful would be to have a read-only HG/git repository available
that contains the _full_ history and all open CWS branches, which can be
cloned and examined off-line.

opinions?

regards,
  michael