incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Blog Created
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2011 03:09:21 GMT
Writer 2011 creates categories from what the blog tells it.  It may be that if I use tags those
will actually show up as categories.

There is a way to make a custom XML file that goes at the root of the blog that instructs
Writer about what works and doesn't work with the particular blog.  This will improve the
blog-specific customization.  I have used those with Movable Type with reasonable success.
 Not sure what else would work with the Roller XMLRPC.

I intentionally did not use tags because I didn't know who they might be pinged to or how
to tell Writer about it.  I'm currently set up so Writer posts to de.licio.us in some odd
way.  Hmm, I think I am in over my head.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin McDonald [mailto:gavin@16degrees.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 16:37
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Blog Created

Yeah that is good, but not yet perfect.

> <https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/ooo_there_rsquo_s_a>
>
> It looks like the CSS needs some tweaking: the right side bar drops down
> depending on text width in the post content, the well-known CSS-blog-post
> bugaboo.  I have to make by browser window pretty wide before the sidebar
> reappears adjacent to the content.  I didn't enter anything that couldn't have
> line-wrapped sooner, so this is apparently somewhere in the styling.

likely, I'll see what I can do.

> There are some differences between the Roller 5.0.0 documentation and
> how this blog is set up that would have been handy to know.

I wouldn't trust the documentation as far as I can throw it ;)

That said, what sort of differences are you thinking about?

> When I saw that there were no options to switch between wysiwyg and raw
> HTML modes, I was pretty certain that I was looking at a browser edit
> window that expected raw HTML.  It must be in the Apache chromosomes.

Or RTE was turned off in the Admin area, now enabled.

> That is what drove me to see if I could get Windows Live Writer to hook up.  It
> managed to fish the styles from the site, but it was not able to connect with
> categories or tags.  There might be ways to get that working, but I am
> content for now.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL-1708 is possibly related.
Try creating them manually in Writer to match.

> The Facebook button works (need Google+ now too, I suppose).  I didn't try
> the twitter button because that happens with a Live Writer plug-in I use.

Another good plugin.

> The aggregation into the https://blogs.apache.org page is working too.

Xlnt

(and expected!)

> Next Exercise: See if the track-backs as comments work from elsewhere.

Track backs are configurable.

Gav...