incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Undue Influence (was RE: Another introduction)
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 16:25:46 GMT
My point, of course, was that having around 5% of the committers being TLAers would not constitute
a controlling block lest we were the parliament of a seriously-fragmented democracy.

I didn't consider mentors and our glorious champion in my calculus.

Perhaps a more important point is that it is an unfortunate opportunity cost to fret over-much
about problems we don't have, when there are so many more fruitful activities requiring attention.

Meanwhile, yes, trusting the process and its track-record is valuable.

For those who would like to calibrate the process for themselves, I recommend subscription
to long enough to see podlings be shut down and/or fail to exit
incubation.  It is enlightening to see what the considerations are in discussions leading
up to resolution of those situations.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Curcuru []
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 07:09
Subject: Re: Undue Influence (was RE: Another introduction)

In terms of the question raised about "corporate decisions that can
affect the project", then I urge people to read the Apache Incubator
guidelines on podling graduation:

A major purpose of the Incubation process is to ensure that the (P)PMC
running a project is healthy, and is able to manage the project
independently from outside influence.  This means that there is
sufficient diversity within the (P)PMC so that no one corporation is
likely to be able to control the project by having their employees all
vote one way.

If you look across the rest of the almost 100 top level projects hosted
at the ASF, I hope people can see that we do have some experience in
ensuring our projects are allowed to run independently.  8-)

Separately, note that email addresses are not a reliable measure of
employment.  I've heard of plenty of people either explicitly choosing
to use their employer's email, or explicitly choosing to *not* use their
employer's email, when working on Apache projects as part of their
dayjobs.  You can get an approximation of committer affiliations if you
also include the data in the SVN:committers/MailAlias.txt file, but even
that isn't filled out by everyone.

- Shane, who happens to work at IBM, but who's job role does not include
any Apache work currently (hence, I use my personal email here)

View raw message