incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project + PPMC Growing Pains
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:33:46 GMT
Is this intended as a blog post?  It reads like one. In particular I
don't see any proposals to discuss.

-Rob

On Jul 12, 2011, at 4:30 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:

> We are just one month into being the Apache OpenOffice.org Podling.  It is useful to
interesting to take stock of all that is happening and where we are.

> The main activity that we are all holding our breath over is the reconstitution of the
code base under Apache.  There is also concern for the documentation and web sites and how
they fit under an Apache umbrella.

> Depending on their interests and specialties, not everyone here is immediately able to
contribute much.  We are in the process of organizing and bringing over and IP-scrubbing the
initial artifacts for the project that will be the foundation for further work.  There is
not much to get our teeth into in terms of actual development until that is sorted out.  (E.g.,
we don't have a bug tracker yet and the documentation, localization, and user-facing folk,
including marketing, are still wondering how our project will accommodate them.)

> Meanwhile, there is also how we organize ourselves to operate as an Apache project.
>
> - Dennis
>
>    1. BOOTSTRAPPING COMMITTERS AND THE PPMC
>    2. HOW LONG IS THE OPEN DOOR OPEN?
>    3. WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO BE A COMMITTER AS TIME GOES ON?
>    4. WHEN BEING MORE PRIVATE THAN PRIVATE IS IMPORTANT
>

> 1. BOOTSTRAPPING COMMITTERS AND THE PPMC
>
> The set of Initial Committers is a self-selected group who added their names to the Initial
Committers list on the original incubator proposal.  That's how the podling is bootstrapped.
 Likewise, ooo-dev participation is fully self-selected, and it will stay that way.

> This means that we are a group of people who have not worked together as a single Apache
project community before, even though there are a variety of mutual acquaintances and associations
in the mix.

> Of the Initial Committers, a subset were eager to be on the project and have arrived.
That is the overwhelming source of the current 54 committers, 41 also being on the PPMC.

> 2. HOW LONG IS THE OPEN DOOR OPEN?
>
> There are still about two-dozen Initial Committers who have not yet registered an iCLA.
We don't know if they are arriving or not.  One issue is when to close the door on initial
committers who have taken no initiative to be here, although reminders have been sent out.

> It is also the case that all initial committers are welcome to participate in the PPMC
but not all have taken action to do so.  At some point, the PPMC will not grow automatically
and that also needs to be resolved.

> 3. WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO BE A COMMITTER AS TIME GOES ON?
>
> We vote on other committers the same as any [P]PMC.  The addition of two invited committers
has already been reported.

> One thing that concerns the PPMC (who, for all but two members, walked through an open
door) is how and when do we move from consideration of previous reputation and being known
to some of us to a situation where contribution on the podling is the determining factor.
 We're working our way through that.  The PPMC is also concerned that, although the addition
of new committers and new PPMC members is carried out in private, we be transparent about
how we are conducting ourselves and that we demonstrate that we are even-handed about it.

> It is not clear what the ooo-dev community wants to see and what the understood progression
to the normal rules for invitation of committers should be.

> 4. WHEN BEING MORE PRIVATE THAN PRIVATE IS IMPORTANT
>
> The PPMC is responsible for dealing, quietly and privately, with security matters and
their resolution.  The security@ team informs us that because we have so many members who
are unknown here and also to each other at this point, a limited ooo-security@incubator.apache.org
list is essential.  We need to identify those few among us who have appropriate skills and
sensibilities around security matters and who can keep their work secret when that is appropriate.

> For this, we want to know who has been on the security teams of OpenOffice.org and who
happen to be here also.  There will also be cross-communication with other security teams
that operate on the same code base, or in some cases, that operate on the same document formats.

> We will be going ahead with the creation of the private ooo-security list for that purpose.
 What we are waiting for is identification of three moderators who are distributed around
the earth's time zones well enough to provide moderation of incoming reports in something
approximating 24/7 coverage.