incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Building a single Hg repository (was: An svn question)
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:50:15 GMT
On 29.06.2011 12:17, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 05:04, Michael Stahl<mst@openoffice.org>  wrote:
>> On 29.06.2011 05:27, Greg Stein wrote:

>> but HG supports hardlinks between repositories (in newer versions even on
>> win32), so you can "hg clone" the master on the same filesystem and then
>> pull in the CWS, and it will be _much_ faster and take _much_ less
>
> Yah. This is awesome, and will make pulling CWSs much quicker. I'll
> bake that into our scripts.
>
>> additional space (in fact, less than the useful-only-for-diff "pristine
>> source" in a SVN working copy would take).
>
> Um. I see kind of a pot shot at svn here. I'll give you the benefit of
> the doubt, rather than get cranky. The local pristines (beyond just
> diff) mean that commits can send deltas, rather than the whole file.
> And when you're working with 4G files (oh, wait! Hg can't deal with
> files that size!) then sending a delta is very important.

i think usually HG stores and transmits binary diffs for changes.

but you're right, SVN isn't totally useless: the remaining niche where
SVN actually has an advantage over modern DSCMs is for versioning huge
binary files: you don't want to have all revisions of those in a working
copy.

we worked around that limitation by storing our binary blobs (i.e.,
external library tarballs) on a FTP server (see fetch_tarballs.sh).

>> oh, just noticed it doesn't include all the l10n repositories.
>> i think we need those as well.
>> with Branchmirror probably a second config file is required, because l10n is
>> a separate master repo.
>> (since DEV300m101 a master/CWS consists of 2 repositories, one for all the
>> bulky translations, one for the stuff i work on :)
>
> I don't understand this part. DEV300 is the master repo, right? Are
> you saying that there is a *separate* repository for the l10n data?

yes, exactly.
the l10n stuff has huge changes, and developers don't ever need it, so
we complained about all this wasted hard disk space/bandwidth, and now
finally releng gave us 2 master repos :)

these are the master l10n repos:

master_l10n/DEV300
master_l10n/OOO340

for CWS it looks like this (guess most of these won't contain changes):

cws_l10n/sw34bf06

--
"I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign."
  -- Paul Graham, Nov 1983