incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Bugzilla or JIRA? (was: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?)
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:04:25 GMT

On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:44, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> There seems to be consensus.
>>
>> (1) We must somehow preserve the old bugzilla ids.
>
> We can preserve them in a new BZ instance. We can preserve them if we
> use JIRA (OOO-1234, for example).
>

>> (2) There is no clear preference on Bugzilla over JIRA.
>
> That is kind of what I'm seeing, too.
>
> If we can wait a week, then I might suggest we wait to get more people
> subscribed onto this list. Then we can run a poll to see where
> consensus lies.

I agree, if we have a choice. The discussion on Infra reveals the person who did the last
migration at Oracle ...

> If anybody has some technical reasons for choosing one over the other,
> then that would be great. It would help direct us towards a specific
> choice.

I did query Infra. Mark Thomas may have a preference. I forwarded his questions back into
the ooo-dev list. Then there were further responses

The thread is titled: Moving OOo Bugzilla Database into ASF Infrastructure.

It is not cross linked. I'll keep people posted back on the thread here.

>> I think that we need to ask the infrastructure team what they think about the situation.
>
> When I asked this 1.5 years ago, Infra said "choose either one.
> doesn't matter to us." I believe we simply need to find a way to reach
> a choice, then ask them to set it up.

It is possible that needed customization might serve to pull us towards JIRA, but I am just
guessing because Mark Thomas is a release manager on Apache Tomcat and JIRA sits on that.

Regards,
Dave