incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Product Roadmap: made by whom ? was: Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:24:58 GMT

On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:

> My two centimes...
>
> It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
> sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
> corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.
>
> It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
> of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
> in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
> for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
> it.
>
> This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
> do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.

It happens. Companies do get contracted to work on projects. Individuals also may be paid.
If doing so then business interests need to be separated, you really shouldn't make your payment
contingent on the project doing anything. That can become a community problem.

Companies who are sponsoring such work for hire need to submit a CCLA. http://www.apache.org/licenses/

Corporations / individuals can sponsor the ASF, but cannot direct those donations.

Ross/Sam, do I have this stated correctly?

Regards,
Dave