incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: User facing web items
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:42:36 GMT

On Jun 18, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Reizinger Zoltán <zreizinger@hdsnet.hu>wrote:
>

>> The forums have link to the terms of use:
>> http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use
>> This link was on all the time while the forum runs.
>> For my best knowledge, never was problem wit that.
>>
>> Now it is contain ASF 2.0 license for codes, I see no problems to
>> licensing.
>> Usually no source codes submitted to forums.
>>
>> Zoltan
>>

> I think this is a "architecture follows organization" versus "organization
> follows architecture" question.
>
> If the forum admins and moderators want to be part of the Apache
> OpenOffice.org project, then we should look for a way for Apache to host the
> phpBB instance for the forums.

snip ...

> IMHO, I'd like to see the user forums become part of the project.  I think
> user support is traditionally a function of an Apache project.  Although it
> is most commonly done with a user list, that is just an implementation
> detail, not the essence of the function.  Since OOo has so many users, the
> list would never scale.  The traffic would be too heavy and would make it
> useless for users.  So an Apache hosted phpBB instance makes the most sense
> to me.

Agreed. The first step is to put someone who knows the technical details of the current forums
in touch with Gavin McDonald on the Infrastructure email list.

On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Nothing at all to do with Bugzilla :) but perhaps you can give me details
> of who looks after the current phpbb forums for OOo as I will be the one
> looking to migrate that over to the ASF.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gav...

> On Jun 18, 2011, at 1:10 AM, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>
>> 2011.06.18. 1:33 keltezéssel, Andy Brown írta:
>>>
>>> I know from conversations that the forum is hosted on Oracle servers, in Germany,
if I am not mistaken.
>> Yes.
>> I'm co-admin of Hungarian forum from start of HU user forum, and volunteer from EN
forum start.
>>> The Admin is an employee of Oracle.
>> Half true. Oracle/Sun provides space in virtualized servers, if something happens
with servers which needs phiscally touch it, then Oracle admin mange it.
>> All the other case the user forum admin Terry Ellison works, he manage the common
for all forums database and webserver, MySQL and phphBB 3.0.x.
>> Language co-admins make language dependent work, works with spams, rouge users, etc.
>> The Oracle only help us providing infrastructure (server space and bandwith), not
more.
>> The forums runs in common database and webserver.
>>> The moderators are from all over and volunteers for the most part.  If it can
not hosted on Apache servers then I am afraid that it will be lost and all the help that it
has for users.
>> If not Apache will support this, we needs to search founding and run in other place
to support users, which is our will.
>>> "Is a forum the right solution today", good question but I have seen flame wars
break out over that very topic in some mailing list.  I prefer mailing list but understand
why end users prefer a forum so I would support us keeping it.
>> Users forums started before the TDF was formed, their mailing list and forum discussions
not problem for us, we support all OOo derivate software users, to help them, if we can answer
their problems.
>> Zoltan
>

> One way for this to work would be for the current forum admin(s) to
> volunteer at Apache Infrastructure, to provide the expertise for installing,
> customizing and maintaining phpBB, as well as porting the existing data.
> Moderators would clearly be welcome as project members.   Their
> contributions are important for helping the users work well with the
> product, but also to direct them to bug reports, etc.  They also would serve
> an important role in community development and recruitment.

Zoltan - If you wish to get this done please contact Gavin so that the technical requirements
plus any formal request to Oracle can be organized.

Regards,
Dave