incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Can we release OOo_3.4.0 install sets and language packs? (was: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:27:16 GMT
Hi,

Le 17 juin 11 à 07:51, Greg Stein a écrit :

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 01:32, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
>> Le 17 juin 11 à 06:40, Greg Stein a écrit :
>>> Please read the ooo-dev mailing list to get a better
>>> understanding of
>>> where we are in the process. I would be surprised if a release is
>>> made this
>>> year.
>>
>> Are you serious  ?  :-/
>
> We have a lot of dependencies to rip out and deal with. We have a
> lot of files that have not been granted. We have not started any
> kind of
> repository migration. Nobody has investigated the tooling for that
> yet.

Maybe we could even create an intermediate public repository, to
start something "real", thus we could ask for help, enumerate the
needs, and people who have commit rights will progressively migrate
the source into Apache repo ?

> Some of those cases: it isn't just "remove dependencies" but to
> rewrite chunks of code because we have to switch libraries (e.g
> regex handling).

Looks like I missed the information. Probably the signal lost in the
too-verbose list :/

> This is not simply "run 'make' on ASF hardware".

That's what I understood, even if I missed the regex part.

> There are a lot of steps. Six months to the end of the year. ...
> Hey, if it can happen, then great. I'd be freaking happy. But the task
> seems pretty immense at this point. I'll grant that I may have
> exaggerated. Four months?
>
> Over and over, people keep saying "OO.o is a HUGE COMPLICATED piece
> of code. IT IS A MESS. HARD TO WORK WITH." and that kind of thing.

Well, I answered because I know well OpenOffice.org source code
organization, and I built it zillions of times on every OS (excepted
FreeBSD) since 2003 (I even know a big part of the story).

The problem is that we do not have a todo list, nor anything "real"
to fight with.

> Either they are trying to scare people off, show how awesome they
> are that they can deal with it, or they're simply telling the truth.

The work to be done is probably awesome (no problem, we'll iterate,
and see after), but one more time, there are OpenOffice.org experts
around, and work together, will certainly help. The best we could do
about the code, is to create a wiki page, and organize us.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə