incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suarez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 01:37:31 GMT
HI all,

On 2011-06-16, at 21:32 , Kazunari Hirano wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To find an answer to my question, Can we rationalize and formalize "a
> language project"?, I will join the thread "Teams and Leads" on this
> mailing list.

I see no reason why not to start "language projects" again. But a caveat. The rationale behind
them was that they provided the support and ideally portal otherwise lacking in the main OOo
site. I'd hope that that's not the case here. And I'd also hope that any language project—a
project conducted in the 'native language'—is also a portal by which contributors can learn
better how to contribute to OOo.

I'd also like to modify the original OOo notion of a native language project. When I set them
up, I did so with a focus on language not region. I'd like to change that so that we can have,
in fact, a strong regional presence. And then I'd like to tie those into local/regional marketing
efforts.

That is, it makes no sense to have a native language project if events are still left in the
ether (read: air) and no one is held responsible for them.

-louis