incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Wiki for the project
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:53:03 GMT
>> If we want to have different groups of users with update rights we
>> should definitely have two wikis.
>>
>> See https://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/ for the instructions regarding
>> confluence.
>>
>> We could start with the following confluence wiki spaces:
>>
>> (1) ooo-dev - for developer facing documentation.
>>
>> (2) ooo-user - for a prospective user wiki. We can debate whether
>> confluence, MediaWiki, moinmoin or ? are best by experimenting with
>> various approaches.
>
> I don't understand, you just said you would start to create a
> Confluence ooo-user space to debate whether to use a different
> engine?
>
> There is probably overlap between (1) and (2) so it needs to
> be clearly defined what goes where. With (1) you are probably
> referring to core development (coding OOo), but there is also
> extension development (using UNO to develop extra functionality)
> or office automation that probably are better placed in (2) (for
> the developer-user).

For (1) you understand me correctly. This is the space we need now to start doing all the
planning and development blueprints.

For (2) I mean a possible way to handle the package user and/or developer user documentation
that will be migrated from the wiki at openoffice.org.

BTW - It should not be hard to move content between two confluence spaces if it is put in
the wrong location.

> If we plan to reuse existing wiki content for docs, it would be
> easiest to continue to use MediaWiki (if this is an option)
> since this is where all content currently is. A lot of the
> content in the docs section uses MW features like
> subpages, auto page lists, templates/transclusions etc that
> may be cumbersome to migrate.

To use MediaWiki someone will need to contribute at infrastructure-dev. Otherwise it is moinmoin
or confluence. I don't care so much, but confluence is well supported here at Apache so it
is an easy choice.

For (3) the options are greater and we can change.

I know we need (1) and it is not much harder to do (2) and (3) prospectively and let the rest
of the PPMC decide.

Here is the jira issue:  (INFRA-3684) Create 3 CWiki Spaces for OpenOffice

Regards,
Dave